The 2023 Data Teams Summit (formerly DataOps Unleashed) was a smashing success, with over 2,000 participants from 1,600 organizations attending 23 expert-led breakout sessions, panel discussions, case studies, and keynote presentations covering a wide range of thought leadership and best practices.
There were a lot of sessions devoted to different strategies and considerations when building a high-performing data team, how to become a data team leader, where data engineering is heading, and emerging trends in DataOps (asset-based orchestration, data contracts, data mesh, digital twins, data centers center of excellence). And winding as a common theme throughout almost every presentation was that top-of-mind topic: FinOps and how to get control over galloping cloud data costs.
Some of the highlight sessions are available now on demand (no form to fill out) on our Data Teams Summit 2023 page. More are coming soon.
There was a lot to see (and full disclosure: I didn’t get to a couple of sessions), but here are 3 sessions that I found particularly interesting.
Enabling strong engineering practices at Maersk
The fireside chat between Unravel CEO and Co-founder Kunal Agarwal and Mark Sear, Head of Data Platform Optimization at Maersk, one of the world’s largest logistics companies, is entertaining and informative. Kunal and Mark cut through the hype to simplify complex issues in commonsensical, no-nonsense language about:
- The “people problem” that nobody’s talking about
- How Maersk was able to upskill its data teams at scale
- Maersk’s approach to rising cloud data costs
- Best practices for implementing FinOps for data teams
Check out their talk here
Maximize business results with FinOps
Unravel DataOps Champion and FinOps Certified Practitioner Clinton Ford and FinOps Foundation Ambassador Thiago Gil explain how and why the emerging cloud financial management discipline of FinOps is particularly relevant—and challenging—for data teams. They cover:
- The hidden costs of cloud adoption
- Why observability matters
- How FinOps empowers data teams
- How to maximize business results
- The state of production ML
See their session here
Situational awareness in a technology ecosystem
Charles Boicey, Chief Innovation Officer and Co-founder of Clearsense, a healthcare data platform company, explores the various components of a healthcare-centric data ecosystem and how situational awareness in the clinical environment has been transferred to the technical realm. He discusses:
- What clinical situational awareness looks like
- The concept of human- and technology-assisted observability
- The challenges of getting “focused observability” in a complex hybrid, multi-cloud, multi-platform modern data architecture for healthcare
- How Clearsense leverages observability in practice
- Observability at the edge
Watch his presentation here
How to get more session recordings on demand
- To see other session recordings without any registration, visit the Unravel Data Teams Summit 2023 page.
- To see all Data Teams Summit 2023 recordings, register for access here.
And please share your favorite takeaways, see what resonated with your peers, and join the discussion on LinkedIn.